We are fully committed to providing an environment in which volunteers are able to realise their full potential and contribute to the success of the charity regardless of their backgrounds or beliefs. We welcome applications from all volunteers who will be considered solely on their ability to carry out their roles.
Royal Free Hospital
We are looking to welcome volunteer roles for the following areas:
- Wards Supporting the housekeeper and mealtimes and providing patient companionship. Daily (am/pm plus evenings)
- Shop trolley Our volunteers work in pairs, visiting wards and selling items to patients and staff. Monday-Friday (am/pm).
- Charity information/enquiry desk To provide support by answering patient and visitor enquires and giving directions, as well as promoting our news and fundraising opportunities. Monday-Friday (am/pm).
- Infant feeding support To support new mums and infant feeding. Training and support will be provided. Daily (am/pm).
- Massage therapy volunteers With relevant qualifications, our complementary therapy team require volunteer support in providing massage therapy to patients and staff at Barnet and Royal Free hospitals. Monday-Friday.
- Royal Free gardening volunteers We’re looking for experienced gardeners to join our established team, to tend and expand the wonderful gardens of the Royal Free Hospital and Pears Building. Weekend support required.
- Do you play a musical instrument? Would you like to perform at Chase Farm Hospital, Barnet Hospital or Royal Free Hospital to play for patients, staff and visitors, either as a one-off or regular volunteer? If you are interested, please contact: [email protected].
Barnet and Chase Farm hospitals
- Meet and greet: We are recruiting volunteers to cover two charity desks on the ground and second floors of Barnet Hospital. As a volunteer you will be a point of contact for hospital visitors who need support in locating a department and assistance with general enquires. As a volunteer you will be friendly and enjoy assisting members of the public. Volunteers will be required to be confident in working independently with excellent verbal communication and customer service skills. The desks are high, the ability to stand for the duration of a shift, which will be 2/3 hours would be required. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from people who are willing to access the hospital by public transport or walking.
- Tea with Doris – volunteering on the wards supporting patients with dementia, helping to host social tea parties and entertainment for patients – morning or early afternoon (18+ only).
- Paediatric A&E – navigating patients around the hospital to help find bathroom, catering and hospital services for their children – afternoon and evening (18+ only).
- Play support, galaxy children’s ward – lunch times, 11:45am – 1pm.
- Book trolley, taking the book trolley around the wards and chatting to patients
Chase Farm Hospital
- Meet and greet navigators – guiding people around the hospital to locate their appointments
- Refreshment volunteer, chemo suite – making cups of tea, coffee, instant soup for patients, chatting to patients. Requires face mask wearing at all times in the suite and regular (free) COVID testing (18+ only)
- VR headset pilot for cancer patients – helping fit the headsets, choose a relevant programme, collect feedback for the project team. Requires face mask wearing at all times in the suite and regular (free) COVID testing (18+ only)
- Patient partners – asking patients about their experience of the hospital service, recording feedback for the Patient Experience Team to make improvements in the hospital service
Young volunteers aged 16-18
At the moment the Young Volunteer programme is not recruiting new volunteers aged between 16 and 18.
Please keep an eye out for the most up to date information on our website and via our social media platforms, where we will advertise the reopening of new recruitment opportunities in the future.
If you are interested in attending a set of online talks about different careers in the NHS, please sign up at this link: www.eventbrite.com/cc/alternative-pathways-into-the-nhs-1491129
Get in touch
Royal Free Hospital
If you’d like to know more about any of the opportunities listed, then contact:
Gill Hyatt [email protected]
Sharon Howarth [email protected].
If you’d like to apply directly then please register your interest here.
Barnet or Chase Farm hospitals
If you would like to know more about these volunteer opportunities at Barnet Hospital or Chase Farm Hospital please contact [email protected].
If you’d like to apply directly to Barnet then please register your interest here.
If you’d like to apply directly to Chase Farm then please register your interest here.
The difference we make
Volunteers bring compassion and support to patients receiving end-of-life care
Paying tribute to our volunteers who bring compassion and support to patients receiving end-of-life care and to families experiencing bereavement.find out more >
Two years of supporting our hospitals through the COVID-19 pandemic
It’s been over two years since the first COVID-19 patient was admitted to the Royal Free Hospital. Since then, thanks to our supporters and volunteers, we’ve been able to go beyond NHS funding to help…find out more >
Supporting patients at Finchley Memorial Hospital
COVID restrictions saw many volunteering positions at the Royal Free Charity put on hold, but as we support the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust with their pandemic recovery, some new roles have been created.find out more >
Young Volunteers Programme
The Young Volunteers Programme provides local 16 - 22 year olds with the opportunity to volunteer in a hospital setting, develop new skills and to learn about the NHS.find out more >
Want to find out what it's like to be a volunteer with us?
Visit our blog about Royal Free Charity volunteers and the difference they make.find out more >
Purchase a copy of Hampstead Gown Factory for £7
The extraordinary story of a volunteer movement in north London during the first wave of the pandemic by photographer Sarah Nicholl and designer Adam Brown.find out more >