Giving shares to the Royal Free Charity might appeal to you as it is a simple way to contribute to patient care, research and purchasing of special equipment.

Please contact us so that we can discus with you what shares you have as we cannot accept shares held on some business sectors.


How it works

Donating shares to charity is one of the most tax-effective ways you can give money. By giving in this way, you won’t have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too. If you are a higher rate (40%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% of the value of the gift and if you are a highest rate (45%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 45% of the value of the gift.

In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:

  • listed on the UK Stock Market or the Alternative Investment Market, or on a recognised stock exchange overseas
  • units in authorised unit trusts
  • shares in a UK open-ended investment company (OEIC)
  • holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.

You can claim tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day you make the gift, together with any associated costs such as brokers’ fees. Also, capital gains tax (CGT) on any increase in the value of the shares since you bought them will not apply. However, if your shares have gone down in value, you will not be able to use this loss to offset any other CGT liability you may have.

For example, if a donor gives 1,000 shares in a listed company, each worth £1 on the day the gift is made, the total value of the gift is £1,000. If the broker’s fee paid by the donor is £50, the total amount of relief available against income is £1,050.


Do you wish to donate shares worth more than £500?

Please call us on 020 7317 7774 with details of your intended gift. We will give you the contact details of our stockbroker and the transaction of shares can then be done through them.


Do you wish to donate shares worth less than £500?

If you would like to make a donation under £500, you can donate shares to ShareGift and mention the Royal Free Charity when you do so.  ShareGift is a charity that specialises in accepting donations of smaller share holdings which may not be worth selling on their own. They can be contacted on 020 7930 3737 or through the ShareGift website.


More information

If you would like any further information on donating shares, please contact [email protected]